- About Us
City of Chesapeake, Virginia Police Department
March 10, 2017
$41,824 - $69,010 (depending on qualifications)
- Evaluate, examine, compare, and identify latent prints on evidence from crime scenes and conduct searches of latent fingerprint evidence using Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS). Compare latent prints to known inked prints.
- Take inked fingerprints of crime victims, witnesses, suspects, and juveniles (per court order) for elimination or comparison purposes.
- Process items of evidence for latent prints utilizing various chemical enhancement techniques as well as specialized equipment to include digital photography of developed prints.
- Prepare written reports on the results of examinations and the identification of latent finger and palm prints.
- Prepare evidence for court on latent print identifications and related matters; involves participation in pre-trial conferences. Provide testimony in court as an expert witness on latent print matters.
- Provide information and assistance to police officers, detectives, prosecutors, public defenders, and outside law enforcement agencies concerning latent print matters.
- Provide training to other Latent Print Examiners, law enforcement members, and other individuals as required.
- The incumbent is expected to continue advancing their skills through research, attendance to educational conferences and relevant courses or workshops.
- The incumbent is required to have strong communication, time management, writing, analytical and decision-making skills. Incumbent is required to consistently exercise discretion, sound judgment, and must comply with all accreditation mandates to assure quality of results and analysis. Failure of any quality assurance mandates must be reported, whether it is of their own or another analyst. Incumbent is required to submit a DNA standard for elimination purposes.
- Performs related duties as required.
This class specification should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Requires high school diploma or GED and any combination of education and experience equivalent to satisfactory completion of one year of college education in forensic science or closely related field.
- Requires a minimum of three years of experience as Certified Fingerprint Examiner.
Special Certifications and Licenses
- Requires a valid driver's license and a driving record that is in compliance with City Driving Standards. Special skills or equipment certification may be required. Must have previously testified in court as an expert witness in fingerprint examination.
- Certification as an Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) Operator. National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and Virginia Crime Information Network (NCIC) qualified. Must be able to testify in court and be recognized by the City Of Chesapeake Court System as an expert witness in the field of latent fingerprint identification.
- Experience in crime scene processing and digital photography.
Read the official job posting and apply online here: https://www.jobs.cityofchesapeake.net/applicants/jsp/shared/search/SearchResults_css.jsp