IAI Presidential Update
Updates on Forensic Standards and Legislation Progress in the US July 21, 2014
- The forensic legislation proposed by Senators Leahy and Cornyn (the Criminal Justice and Forensic Science Reform Act S.2177) is still active and looking for senate co-sponsors.
- The forensic legislation proposed by Senator Rockefeller (Forensic Science and Standards Act of 2014) is on hold and planned to be readdressed next year.
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has begun filling the Organization of Scientific Area Committees (OSAC's). IAI Incoming President Steve Johnson has been appointed to represent the IAI on the Forensic Science Standards Board!! He is there to represent your professional and scientific interests and I know he will do an excellent job on our behalf.
What you can do....
- Call your US Senator and as them to co-sponsor S.2177 (Leahy/Cornyn bill)
- Call your US House Representative and ask them to fund the Forensic Initiative, which will fund the NIST Standards Groups.
- Read the action items found here for more information.
- Keep informed about the progress and formation of the OSAC's at http://www.nist.gov/forensics/osac/index.cfm
- Attend the CFSO (Consortium of Forensic Science Organizations) Update at the upcoming conference in Minneapolis on Monday Noon to 1pm.
Lesley Hammer, IAI President